Dr. Gerardine (Gerri) Botte
Russ Professor Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering and Director Center for
Electrochemical Engineering Research, OHIO
Dr. Botte is the Director of CEProTECH. Dr. Botte and members of her research group are working on projects in the areas of electrochemical engineering, power sources (advanced batteries), novel electrolyzers, sensors, flow batteries, numerical methods, mathematical modeling, materials science, and electro-catalysis. She is the Founding Director of the Center for Electrochemical Engineering Research at OHIO. Dr. Botte has 115 publications (51 publications in peer-reviewed journals, 5 book chapters, 16 granted patents, 29 pending patents, 11 peered-reviewed conference proceedings, and 3 reports/special publications) and has delivered over 190 presentations in international conferences. She is the Editor in Chief of the Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, a Charter Fellow of the National Academy of Inventors, and a Fellow of the World Technology Network. She is also the elected Chair of the Industrial Electrochemistry and Electrochemical Engineering Division of the Electrochemical Society. Dr. Botte has managed research and development programs representing over $10 million in support from a variety of sources and sponsors, including private, federal, and state funds. She has been involved in the scale up of several electrochemical technologies, their commercialization, and in the spin-off of companies. In 1994, Dr. Botte obtained her BS in Chemical Engineering from Universidad de Carabobo in Venezuela, her native country. She earned her Master of Engineering (1998) and PhD (2000) in Chemical Engineering both from the University of South Carolina. Before attending graduate school, Dr. Botte worked as a process engineer in a Petrochemical Complex where she was involved in the synthesis of fertilizers and polymers.
Below is a list of five publications relevant to the proposed research.
- Ramasamy Palaniappan, David C. Ingram and Gerardine G. Botte, “Hydrogen Evolution Reaction Kinetics on Electrodeposited Pt-M (M= Ir, Ru, Rh, and Ni) Cathodes for Ammonia Electrolysis,” Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 161 E1-E-11 (2014).
- Santosh Vijapur, Dan Wang, and Gerardine G. Botte, “Raw coal derived large area and transparent graphene films,” ECS Solid State Letters, 2, M45-M47 (2013).
- Vedasri Vedharathinam and Gerardine G. Botte, “Direct evidence of an EC′ mechanism for the electro-oxidation of urea on Ni(OH)2 catalyst in alkaline medium,” Electrochimica Acta, 108, 660-665 (2013).
- Luis Diaz and Gerardine G. Botte, “Electrochemical Deammonification of Swine Wastewater,” in press http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ie3015022, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, (2012).
- Dan Wang, Wei Yan, Santosh Vijapur, and Gerardine G. Botte, “Enhanced Electrocatalytic Oxidation of Urea based on Nickel Hydroxide Nanoribbons,” Journal of Power Sources, 217, 498-502 (2012).