Dr. Madhivanan Muthuvel
Assistant Research Professor and Assistant Director for Operations, CEER, OHIO
Dr. Muthuvel focuses on developing efficient catalysts for the advanced electrosynthesis reactors and electrolyzers (ammonia and urea), constructing and optimizing lab-scale electrolyzer systems, electrochemical treatment of wastewater, and investigating new electrochemical energy storage systems. He also utilizes electro-analytical techniques to understand reaction mechanisms. Dr. Muthuvel received a Ph.D. in Chemistry from the University of Georgia, specializing in electrochemical deposition of compound semiconductors under the supervision of Prof. John L. Stickney. He also holds a Masters degree (M.E.) in Environmental Engineering from Anna University, India, and a B.Tech. degree in Chemical and Electrochemical Engineering from Central Electrochemical Research Institute, Karaikudi, India. Dr. Muthuvel has 13 publications, which includes 5 articles in the peer-reviewed journals and 3 book chapters. Dr. Muthuvel is a member of The Electrochemical Society and has also served as an Assistant Editor for the Journal of Applied Electrochemistry.
Below is a list of five publications relevant to the proposed research.
- Gerardine G. Botte and Madhivanan Muthuvel, “Electrochemical Energy Storage: Applications, Processes, and Trends,” Handbook of Industrial Chemistry and Biotechnology, J. Kent, Editor, Springer, 1497-1539 (2012).
- Damilola Daramola, Madhivanan Muthuvel, and Gerardine G. Botte, “Density Functional Theory Analysis of Raman Frequency Modes of Monoclinic Zirconium Oxide Using Gaussian Basis Sets and Isotopic Substitution,” Journal of Physical Chemistry B, 114, 9323-9329 (2010).
- Madhivanan Muthuvel and Gerardine G. Botte, “Trends in Ammonia Electrolysis,” Modern Aspects of Electrochemistry, Series No. 45, R. E. White et al., Editors, p. 207, Springer, New York (2009).
- Madhivanan Muthuvel, Xin Jin and Gerardine G. Botte, “Direct Carbon Fuel Cells,” Encyclopedia of Electrochemical Power Sources, J. Garche et al., Editor(s)-in-Chief, p.158, Elsevier, Amsterdam (2009).
- Madhivanan Muthuvel and John L. Stickney, “CdTe Electrodeposition on InP (100) via Electrochemical Atomic Layer Epitaxy (EC-ALE): Studies using UHV-EC,” Langmuir, 22, 5504 (2006).